Friday, February 08, 2008

Why do we hate work so much?

I blogged on this subject a while a go, but I think it is time to revisit this subject. Let me set the scene for you. I am at work now, blogging. I am kind of in between projects, and have to fix some bugs I need to think about, so I screw around doing other things til I get ideas.

I blog
I chat
I mess around with hi-lol
I talk on the phone with hammer or the russian (who is a douchebag)
I email
I chat with co workers

I used to work on pet projects in my down time, but that is just a waste of brainpower. A lot of the stuff I work on doesn't get used. Let me run some numbers for you.

410 distinct reports I have worked on and put into production in my 10 years here. We just started keeping track of the usage recently (around 3 years ago).

in the past year, 185 reports were run at least 20 times. (I picked 20 as the arbitrary number, because we have been going through an upgrade recently and been running reports to test them).

50%+ of the work I do is wasted. That is some great motivation.

Also, A lot of my time is consumed with re runs of ad hoc queries because people change their minds on what they want.

No one wants to go to work, but it is for different reasons. What are your reasons? please comment.

1 comment:

fox said...

i work with a fat pakistani who keeps trying to convert me to islam